After doing a lot of Daily Scrums Meeting in last 5 years, I would like to share with you what really is working for me in this event. I hope these points help you too on your products:
- Do the Daily Scrum Meeting in front of Kanban or the Sprint Backlog: doing this the team can see clearly what are the remaining items to be developed, and also the team members can discuss the chosen items to be developed on that day in order to achieve the maximum speed configuration to achieve the sprint goal.
TIP: We have at this moment a good opportunity to move done tasks in Kanban Board or in our Sprint Backlog repository. This way we guarantee that sprint backlog is daily updated. If your team does not use Kanban Board, you just need to have the Sprint Backlog in a Screen, for example.
What is really important in this points is the team know exactly what are the remaining items to be developed and each team member commit yourself with the work/task of that day.
When the remaining items are not clear for the team:
(-) The choose for the next task to be developed does not consider the business value of each item;
(-) In the other hand the development team also does manage itself considering the maximum speed thought the sprint goal.
In other words: Daily Scrum Meeting, considering the “In what I will work today” part becomes a failure, putting in risk the team evolution and the sprint goal.
- All team members must participate on the entire Daily Scrum Meeting and helping each other! The meeting is just 15 minutes, so everybody must participate and pay attention in what tasks are done and what needs to be developed, and make suggestions on other member’s items when needed.
- It’s a good practice ask individually each development team member about the feeling concerning achieving the sprint goal. If the majority answers consider difficult to achieve the goal, the team must find, in group, different ways to change this scenario.
- Does NOT discuss very deeply the business rules or the implementation during the daily meeting. These points must be discussed in details during the sprint, not on a 15 minutes meeting. This guarantees the event objectivity and the timebox.
- Keep the focus on the Daily Scrum Meeting. We do not have time for extra subjects besides the sprint backlog.
TIP: Start the daily meeting after 30 minutes the team start working. It can guarantee everybody have time to talk a little about extra subjects before the daily scrum meeting; or check the mail box; or even does not arrive late for the meeting.The point here is when the team start the event, they must be really focused on it.For example, in the projects I participated or I am still working, the daily scrum meeting starts at 9:30. Our business hours in Brazil is from 9:00 to 18:00.
I really hope to have helped you on your next Daily Scrum Meeting. Please, give your comments about the points above, and even tell us more points do you think is a good practice to do on the Daily Scrum Meeting.
We really enjoy your opinion.
TIP: If you want more informations concerning The Daily Scrum Meeting focusing on the PSM I (Professional Scrum Master I) Certification, consider access this material.
- How to pass Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) certification test in #6 steps
- Professional Scrum Master I (PSM) Simulated Exam Review
- Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) Exam Simulator
- How to pass Scaled Professional Scrum (SPS) certification test in #6 steps
Hugs and Peace,
Eduardo Rodrigues Sucena
MBA | MCP | PSM | PSPO | Business Analyst